Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Prejudice

*This will be rather sensitive entry and personal contemplation that may or may not be accepted by individual*

I’ve been thinking a lot lately; in certain extend even asking my self whether I should post it up or not. So the main issue I’m going to talk here is our obligation as Muslim, our priority toward the religion and devotion to Allah SWT. The second Rukun Islam; 5 times prayer daily.

Every time my mom called, usually before she ends the conversation she always reminds me not to forget to pray. During my first few months in MMU, its kinda gives me a culture shock. Not because of how open the lifestyle, but the student lack ness of concern regarding their obligation as a Muslim really surprises me. I remember one time, I ask my ex-roommate whether wanna go Friday prayer together, and he just smile and continuing playing game like nobody business. Yes, I feel disrespect but what can I do, he is 3-4 years older than I am. Even older than my big brother. After sometimes, I realize that he never done it, not even once…and it’s scared out of me. Scare if it influences me. I try to endure as much as I can. The time passed and I meet a lot of people with the same kind of attitude. They don’t even care and some try to avoid the issues and not to miss the blow up. Why? Is it so wrong to ask whether you’ve done your prayer or not? Why must I receive those foul words, cursing and bad feedbacks fill with anger and hatred? Because of this bad experience, I start keeping everything to myself. And my prejudice beginning to built up inside my head.

“Macam ni ker budak-budak kat KL…?”

“Langsung tak ingat sembahyang…aper mak bapak diorang ajar kat rumah?”

My mind keeps on questioning this two thing over and over again eventhough I know I'm being biased.

“Orang yang tak mengingatkan orang lain untuk sembahyang akan sama-sama menanggung dosa”

I will never forget this word been spoken from my Ustaz. And aware how much sins I’ve had committed; for not reminding others.

“Alaa…dah tua nanti taubat la”

“Dosa masing-masing, kubur masing-masing, ko aper peduli…”


“Ko saper nak suruh aku sembahyang? Ko bukan mak bapak aku...gi mampus la”

Does all this people never realize how upset listening to their words?

I admit, I’m not a pious or religious person but not bad either. I skip prayer sometimes, but I will never forget Qada’. That’s how I’ve been taught.

“Bukan skip selalu, sekali sekala won’t hurt right…?”

It will hurt…badly, because I know I have debt with Allah SWT.

How extremely bad a person was, if he/she never once forget to do the 5 daily prayers, I will hold my respect toward that person without any doubt. But how extremely good a person can be but failed to do his/her prayer, not even once, I won’t show any respect, at all. My only exception is their good deed, but I will never allow my self to see beyond that. It just an act for me as a human.

Why didn’t I voice this out before? Because I don’t have confident back then. Now I am old enough. Enough to make judgement and had my view to be heard and read.

Shuun

No comments: