Saturday, March 21, 2009

DragonBall Evolution

So its finally being release after that long awaited years. I watch the movie few hour ago in Alamanda along my close buddy. I'm aware of all those bad feedback and critics I read in the internet but it won't affected me much. Ok, to be honest I did criticized the film a bit after watching the trailer. But then, I realize something after countless time replay the trailer. This movie is different. Its not the original DragonBall. Its the new story that loosely base from the original idea of DragonBall. Its the story about Goku and mystical ball that will grant any wishes when all the seven ball being gather. I like the movie for what it is. This is not "The Great Adventure of Goku and Friends" like being portray in the original manga. Even the creator, Akira sensei said this gonna be different, not entirely but particularly in term of story development and character. You know how crowded the manga with character, even at the beginning. How do you expect to put every single character to live action. There will be ALOT of dialog and script, and one thing for sure, it will lost it main focus...entirely. One more thing, this film is family oriented. Not a movie for xtreme fans, but a movie for everyone to enjoy. When I walk into the cinema, I say to myself..."This is a new movie to me...nothing to do with original anime/manga. I will watch the movie as if I don't know the whole story and idea of dragonball". And its work...in the end, I like the movie more then I could have. At least my RM10 worth of something, rather then spending it to some cholesterol fast food outlet.

Ok, some avid fans demanded that he knows all about DragonBall series and claim this film suck to the toilet bowl. Goku not supposed to be westerner, a student, like girl, wish to be normal, etc. This is what I have to say, first I know the original story also very well. Second this an adaptation, meaning the director and producer only extracted the idea of 7 DragonBall, character name and the villain while adding some twist in it. If they really use the original storyline/plot, then everything becoming more predictable and boring I might say. Seriously, if DragonBall series never existed, this movie gonna be a huge box-office phenomena. Fans put to much expectation that they loose it to their own belief.

Now about the casting:

Justin Chatwin as Goku
A job well done to him coz manage to portray the character fairly good. A very good looking Goku I might say. Most of the fans claim that Goku should be Asian. I say Why? Goku is not from earth, so the races that existed here won't applies to him. For me, he's an alien with the physical characteristic of human, plus the shape-shifting ability. Enough said. So this Goku is the one with human desire, able to love girl to be exact. Thats something nice to see for a change. At least I won't see the gluttonous Goku again. An aspect that makes the whole film very new.

James Marsters as Piccolo
From platinum white hair vampire to green evil wicked villain. The character doesn't have much development even with all those event flash back, but its still good.

Jamie Chung as Chi Chi
Sweet, sexy and talented martial artist. I know everyone falls for her after this movie, I'm one of them. This Chi Chi is different. She had aim, self control, motivation and courage contrast to over protective, love sick, queen control Chi Chi inside the manga.

Emmy Rossum as Bulma
Intelligent hot chicks with an attitude. I love it. And she really can fight. Not childish or cry baby. She still kept the original characteristic from the manga, to be rich,popular and successful. I won't argue with that. I think Emmy really suit this role.

Chow Yun-Fat as Master Roshi (Muten Roshi)
The closes character to the original manga eventho in term of appearance are totally different story. A younger version of Master Roshi is not so bad after all.

Joon Park as Yamcha
Totally different kind of Yamcha, I admit it. But at least he try his best to portray his role. Salute.

I won't do detail assessment for each character. XD

So how much I will rate this film, I could say, 4/5. I really appreciate the entertainment value and also the new story development. I know all those DIE HARD FANS gonna kick my ass but why must I say something else when the film itself gave me some joyful time. This brings me back when Final Fantasy The Spirit Within was release, everyone expect it to be like Final Fantasy series. But then most of them upset with the character, plot and world setting. The film became box office bomb. They even said its a disgraceful for FF series. Such a shame coz I thought the film was extremely brilliant...from character to storyline. Even Roger Ebert give 3.5/4 rating. What makes it even weirder, when Advent Children was release, many fans complain and not satisfied with the film production. Ok, I concluded that all these "fans always right" are all mindless people with an obsession that beyond the point of human sanity. Retard. Do they really understand all the hard work, time consuming, tension built up just to makes a film, importantly film base from adaptation? I'm very sure, if someone put a bunch of money, be it 100 mil or billion for this fans to create a good film...I bet no one can. No one dares. They just too afraid being shoot back by other stupid fans or end up producing a screw up pointless film. I can imagine another Ghost Rider...or even worse.

Many people will get enrage with my word but I will never took back what I already said. I have a very big ego...and I won't change my opinion easily. ;) Eat my words.

I wrote way too much. I end my word here. Need some sleep.

p.s: Yes...I hoping for another Dragonball Evolution sequel. Hehehe.

Shuun

4 comments:

Ezreen Delaila said...

bulma hot~! bole lawan angelina jolie dlm tomb raider xD

Ezray said...

ren: btol btol!! :D

nab said...

i dont really like the guy who played goku coz somhow not that good in acting.. but not bad i might say. some awkward moments. but i must say the cerita is not that bad. if they want to put exactly like the cerita... tak abis muvi ni duduk 16 jam pon. quite fair la. lawak mangkuk... i love the future school. awesome... mcm peminat harry potter la. org duk ckp itu inmi. well if they like it so much just support it, coz jk rowling kasik permission buat movie. i love both book n cerita. so there. at least they want to do a movie then laze a round rite. hehe

Ezray said...

nab: you hit the jackpot nab!!! :D totally right...