Thursday, March 29, 2007

Chaka Khan

Chaka Khan (born Yvette Marie Stevens on March 23, 1953 in Great Lakes, Illinois) is an American singer best known for her 1984 cover of Prince's "I Feel For You", for her smash hit "I'm Every Woman" and as a member of the funk band Rufus, with whom she recorded the legendary soul record "Ain't Nobody". In her career she has earned many accolades, including eight Grammy awards. Though regarded an R&B singer, she has in fact explored numerous musical genres including funk, disco, jazz, ballads, hip hop, adult contemporary and pop standards.

Award

* 2006 BET Lifetime Achievement Award
* To date, she has won eight Grammy Awards:
o 2002 Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance - "What's Going On" by Chaka Khan & The Funk Brothers
o 1992 Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female - "The Woman I Am"
o 1990 Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal - "I'll Be Good To You" (with Ray Charles)
o 1984 Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female - "I Feel For You"
o 1983 Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female - Chaka Khan
o 1983 Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal "Ain't Nobody"
o 1983 Best Vocal Arrangement For Two Or More Voices - "Be Bop Medley"
o 1974 Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group Or Chorus - "Tell Me Something Good
* She has won four American Music Awards.

Vocal Profile
Voice type: Light Dramatic Contralto
Highest note: Ab5 (Through The Fire), B5 (I can belt this note but with my head voice...not my chest, it hurts)
Lowest note: B2
Vocal range: 3 Octaves

Source and information from wikipedia.


Shuun comment:-

What I like about this lady is her voice and body gesture when singing. It totally different from other singer I listen. Very classic, power house, range, skill and awesome technique. It hard to explain with word actually, since shes the only female singer I know to had Light Dramatic Contralto type of voice. There still too many singer in this word that i don't recognize. >_>

No comments: