Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Listen to..

Those who still wonder what kind of artist that I always listen to, here the list. I'm sure you guys might not really recognize this artist since they're not really popular, especially in American music industry. But if you really appreciate gifted talent, marvelous voice, good quality music then I recommend you to try listen to their music, or maybe watch their live performance in Youtube.

Lara Fabian
Comment: People keep on comparing her with Celine Dion. No. She not Celine wannabe. Her voice is different. Maybe the style is a bit similar since she also a power belter. But Celine has this trademark of nasal sound when she sing while Lara use her very soft full voice. The biggest different are when the belt those high notes. Celine sound sharp, strong and piercing while Lara are more full, rounded and majestic. And not to forget that Celine is Lyric Soprano while Lara has a voice that crosses between Coloratura Soprano and Mezzo Soprano. So she doesn't sing a song with the same voice type but rather mix it up with many kind of voice play. Her skilled voice technique in my opinion is by far among the best. That can be heard inside most of her song(90% written by her). And for sure not many...actually very few people had the courage to sing her song coz of it complicated and sky high note., not to mention you need to sustain it about 10 - 15 second. Really need to put a lot of stomach work. For example, many people already cover Celine "My Heart Will Go On" or "All by myself", but...how many dare to sing Lara "Adagio" and "You Not From Here"...or even topple Lara version of "Caruso"? I dunno. Ohh...one more thing, she speak like 4 Language fluently but can sing in 5 different language plus she extremely intelligence.

Loreena McKennitt
Comment: I know Loreena not more then 3 years I think. At first I didn't like much of her song and voice when my friends promote her to me. To much anime ost really can reduce the mentality of interpreting good quality song. But then, I lost interest to all this anime soundtrack(except for very good one)..I become to liking her music and voice more. The Celtic element inside her song is so pure and down to it root. As if I can imagine the story inside the lyric and song...traveling beyond space and time. I know people will compare her with Enya, but Enya is Enya and Loreena is Loreena. Yes...Enya sold her album far more than Loreena but Loreena wins hands down for her voice and live performance.

Rachelle Ferrell
Comment: This is one crazy and outstanding Jazz/R&B artist. Why I'm saying that? See her live performance video first in Youtube then you know. She 's not widely known to American country but popular in European. Her very....VERY wide mouth, impressive vocal technique and vowel control is out of this world. From very soft...to very loud and goes extremely high whistle note. I just like...woaahh. My hair is standing. Shes a professional pianist, play the piano like put all her soul into it. What I salute is her free style. She didn't constraint herself to the flow of fashion. Its so original and free. About her vocal, she has like 6 octave range. Can do the whistling thing with ease and she can hold the note so long that it hurt my vocal chord. Her music style is very jazzy and slow but fantastic. More spectacular during live performance.

Shuun


No comments: