Monday, November 24, 2008

The Laramie Project


R.I.P
Matthew Shepard (Dec 1, 1976-Oct 12, 1998)

Photo: Gina Van Hoof, San Francisco 1998


Basically, this movie talk about the aftermath of the case of Matthew Shepard that die after being assault, tied to the fence outside Laramie outskirt, beaten brutally and left out in the freezing night. He was found 18 hours later by a local that thought Shepard was a scarecrow. He still breathing but in a very deep coma. Thats how his condition until he died 5 days later. The police officer that rush to the spot where Shepard was tied said she couldn't recognize him because his face was bathe with blood and the only place that seem doesn't have much blood is where his tears flow.

Theres two reason for the crime, one is robbery and another one is "Hate Crime". Its seem the later give more impact then another because Shepard was a gay. He died because being a gay person and because his an easy target. (Shepard only 5'2''...and have small build)

The film focus more on the feedback of the local people in Laramie. What they thought about the case, the 2 suspect, the affect to the small town, hate crime, the hidden truth and the late Matthew Shepard himself based on 200 interview from the local. The casting was so real that you cannot believe that this actually a film recreate based from the real story.

The story flows intelligently from one part to another. From one conversation to another. Theres something to be told in each of every second. From start till the story end.

Personal thought:
I know what I'm gonna say here will cause some issues and sensitivity. But this opinion is not solely based from what I read or watch, but more toward my own personal understanding of the issue. Most of people says to be gay/fag is wrong. Its a sin. Yes...thats correct but its only applies when involve with sex activity. Same goes for normal people, to love the opposite sex is not a sin. You only committed sin when having sex before marriage...and thats what happen to today youth. For me theres nothing wrong to LOVE someone from the same gender as long as you know the limitation. Its not a sin to love somebody, whether a male or female.

For me, as a Muslim, I put my religion above all. I've been struggling with inner conflict as long as I can remember but the only thing that kept me from commit the sin and can make my mind at ease are prayers. I ask forgiveness from God if I had committed any sin, accidentally or not. I always smile doesn't mean I'm happy. I rejected serious relationship from other people* not because I'm dry hearted, but simply because I don't want to hurts someone feeling and I don't want to be hurt back.

Shuun

2 comments:

DS said...

That sounds like a familiar case-become-film story I watched when I was a kid except it was a girl being brutalized and raped cause she was a witness to an important case of that century. She was also tied and left to die in the outskirts but luckily she was saved in time and had her statements move the case to a different level 83

Really look like a film worth watching, only to open mind some people about the issue so they won't be too jakun about it harhar~

p.s. The rating is 15? 8DDD;;;

Ezray said...

DS:I kinda have heard that story also...but already forgotton.

Yups...its worth it and also the impact can make you feel really really sad. Yerps...won't recommend to close minded people. There will be endless argument for sure.

Ahahaha...not sure bout the 15. XD;;