Saturday, January 12, 2008

Too Much Perfume Could Signal Depression

NEW YORK (CBS) ― If you're one those ladies who likes to layer on the perfume, a new study says it could be a sign of depression.

We smell it all too often -- that certain someone in the office, in the elevator, at family gatherings who just always seems to have gone crazy with perfume.

Now a study out of Israel says it may be a sign of a serious problem.

"Our scientific findings suggest that women who are depressed are also losing their sense of smell, and may overcompensate by using more perfume," says Professor Yehuda Shoenfeld of Tel Aviv University.

It's news to most perfume enthusiasts.

"I've never heard that before. It seems kind of weird, but there may be something to it," says New Yorker Jodi Elias.

So CBS 2's Cindy Hsu went to the Karen Horney Clinic, where doctors treat depression, and talked to Executive Director Dr. Henry Paul to gauge his reaction.

"My reaction when I first read it is that I actually laughed because I couldn't imagine anyone had done such a study to do with perfume and depressed women," he said.

Paul says people with depression can start to lose their sense of smell, but, "to conclude that women who wear excessive perfume are necessarily depressed would be a leap of faith at the minimum."

Still, Paul says the study could hold some truths to it.

"Women who are depressed might in fact put on more perfume unconsciously or subconsciously because they want to feel better, and they want to appear better because inside they don't feel very good," he says.

Kendra Jacobs says she wears lots of perfume, but disagrees with the study.

"I'm not depressed, I'm always happy," she enthuses.

So for all you perfume lovers who are heavy on the pump, Manhattan resident Victoria Liggett may have fingered the real reason many people pour on the perfume.

"I think what happens is you get desensitized with your scent when you continue to wear perfume constantly and then you have to wear more and more of it before you can smell it," she says.

Now that makes sense.

Perfume article

Shuun comment:-
Is it same goes to men? I dunno lol. But I my self not using perfume that much except if attending some ceremony/event or going to class. Spray a bit here and there is enough(not one whole bottle...). If too much I kena headache for sure.

Shuun

No comments: